Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Romeo and Juliet

            So far I am liking Romeo and Juliet the movie more than the book. The book is a bit hard to understand and from a very different time period. However what i found annoying in the movie was that while trying to keep everything modern, the script was left the same which kind of contradicts the whole movie.
           When I was reading the paper that Ms. Robbins gave us on Baz Luhrmann I noticed that he wanted to keep everything modern but left the script the same. I think that if the movie was in modern English with a touch of poetry, the movie would be better. what's the point of changing everything but the script. Old English is hard to understand and is out of date. the movie just seems weird with guns, new clothing, and cars but old English.
          Baz Lurhmann said that he knew that he would have to make his movie "hip and sexy" and change everything to make it modern, but by keeping the language the same it seems like there was no point in changing everything else. By keeping the language the same the movie contradicts itself. The movie would be better in regular English. However rest of the movie was well played out and did go well with the book.

1 comment:

  1. I think part of it was to show how classic texts are still relevant...and so much of Shakespeare's gift is in his language.

    ReplyDelete