Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I am hungry for more Hunger Games!

           Over break I read Harry Potter and the Order of The Pheonix and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and after a while I got tired of reading the same type of writing, even though it was a series as great as Harry Potter. Then I remebered that my sister got a copy of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins for her birthday and decided to read it. I heard that the book was really good but at the same time a bit depressing. I still wanted to read so I started right away.
           I immediately got into this book. I thought it perfectly resembled a dystopian society. It reminded me of City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, which also was a dystopia and one of my favorite books. Both these took place in the ruins of a place that is existing now. Also both have a heroine with a male sidekick.
           Katniss Everdeen isn't your average girl. She is the one who gets all the food for her family which is her mother and sister, Prim. Also she is very brave. Every year a name of a boy and a girl is picked from each of the 12 districts in Panem, to participate in the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is where 24 teenagers are left in an arena with scattered supplies, and they all have to survive until only one person is left alive. This means the teenagers would have to try and kill each other. After Prim's name gets picked, Katniss decides to take over to save her sister. This type of "girl power" has been showing up in the book I am currently reading called the The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson. In this book Lisbeth Salander is the heroine.
           I think authors have an interest in dystopian societies because they are interesting to read about and make you wonder if the future really would turn out this way. Also I think that there is a high interest in "girl power" because now a woman can do whatever a man can and maybe even do it better, but most people don't yet realize it.
          The Hunger Games was a good combination of a dystopian society and showing that girls can do what guys can do. Also it has a interesting plot that makes you want to not let go of the book. I cannot wait to read Catching Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment