A Boat Beneath a Sunny Sky
Lewis CarrollA BOAT beneath a sunny sky,
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July —
Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Pleased a simple tale to hear —
Long has paled that sunny sky:
Echoes fade and memories die:
Autumn frosts have slain July.
Still she haunts me, phantomwise,
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.
Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.
In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream —
Lingering in the golden gleam —
Life, what is it but a dream?
My Response
Right after reading this poem I noticed that at first the mood is happyand tranquil but as you read on it gets more and more depressing. Also Lewis talks about memories die and how Alice haunts him phantomwise so I think the two are connected even though they are complete opposites. Another thing I noticed was that in the beginning of the poem it is summer, where everyone is warm and happy but soon it turns to fall, and fall is cold and messy. I think the author was using seasons and descriptions to change the mood.
In one of the paragraphs Lewis Carroll talks about how memories are dying but he still gets haunted of Alice phantomwise so I infered that Alice was a loved one to him but she died. Also I think that he is forgetting some of the memories of her yet he get let go of her emotionally.
After reading through this poem a couple of times I realized that one day you are with your loved one having a good time then next thing you know they are gone. You try to let go and still remeber the memories but it is hard to do.
Overall, I think Lewis Carroll is trying to say that life is not a dream even though it can end suddenly. Life is real. It has its ups and downs and can end whenever God wants it to. Thus, you should enjoy life instead of hating every moment of it.
My Response
Right after reading this poem I noticed that at first the mood is happyand tranquil but as you read on it gets more and more depressing. Also Lewis talks about memories die and how Alice haunts him phantomwise so I think the two are connected even though they are complete opposites. Another thing I noticed was that in the beginning of the poem it is summer, where everyone is warm and happy but soon it turns to fall, and fall is cold and messy. I think the author was using seasons and descriptions to change the mood.
In one of the paragraphs Lewis Carroll talks about how memories are dying but he still gets haunted of Alice phantomwise so I infered that Alice was a loved one to him but she died. Also I think that he is forgetting some of the memories of her yet he get let go of her emotionally.
After reading through this poem a couple of times I realized that one day you are with your loved one having a good time then next thing you know they are gone. You try to let go and still remeber the memories but it is hard to do.
Overall, I think Lewis Carroll is trying to say that life is not a dream even though it can end suddenly. Life is real. It has its ups and downs and can end whenever God wants it to. Thus, you should enjoy life instead of hating every moment of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment