Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Coming Of Age Blog Post #1

         During the young years of our lives we are aware of what our backgrounds are and we always follow the culture and religion of it. However as we are growing up or coming of age we realize sometimes we have to act differently. In the book I'm reading  Born Confused, by Tanuja Desai Hidier, Dimple Lala neglects her Indian culture to try and fit in. However when her parents are around she feels she is neglecting her culture too much. A quote that stood out to me in the book was "So not quite Indian, and not quite American. Usually I felt more along the lines of alien (however legal, as my Jersey birth certificate attests to). The only times I retreated to one or the other description were when my peers didn't understand me (then I figured it was because I was too Indian) or when my family didn't get it (clearly because I was too American)." I felt because Dimple was turning seventeen and was learning more about herself, she felt the need to act different around her peers or parents.
          Throughout the first half of the book, there were many moments when Dimple felt awkward because of her culture. When ever she goes shopping with her parents Her mom doesn't understand the need of stylish clothes to an American teenager. Also when Dimple is at school and has her home lunch, which is always a tuna and chutney sandwich, she classmates always thinks its odd. After experiencing all these moments Dimple always tries to act differently but she and everyone around her knows that she is the only Indian-American girl in her school. From these moments I can conclude that Dimple doesn't realize its okay to be part of both cultures and doesn't know how to keep a balance of them. Also she tries to be what everyone wants her too be all at the same time.
         What I think Tanuja Desai Hidier, is trying to say through the moments in this book is that one shouldn't try to change themselves because of what others think. It's is okay to be a part of two cultures. Unfortunately, Dimple didn't realize this yet in the book. She feels that how you act depends on the people around you at the time. What she should be realizing is that it's normal for one to be part of two completely different cultures. In fact being this way just make you a more unique and well rounded person.
        Today, knowing this is important because nowadays people from different cultures do get married, or families do move to new places. Now, it is completely normal for people to be a part of two different cultures. I myself am American and Bengali. At times it may seem that one of the cultures you follow is odd to people, but in the long run, one should realize everyone is unique in their own way and have different traditions to follow.

1 comment: