Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo # 2 *Spoilers*

            Ugh! I am so mad at myself right for not finishing such an awesome book before writing my second response on it. Oh well. Right now in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo I am noticing much more than I was last week. And once again it is about how Henrik Vanger hires Mikeal Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander to solve the mystery of how his niece, Harriet, went missing over forty years ago.
            Freaky, right? You know whats else is freaky? The fact that at the beginning of every section in the book there are statistics about how fourty percent of women in Sweden get harrased by a man and most of the time doesn't tell anyone. At first I was just like, "Why in the world would Steig Larsson do this?" I was very confused when reading this. All it made me think was that the author was trying to prevent me from ever going to Sweden. Then around 500 pages in the book I finally understood. All these facts were leading up to the climax, when Mikeal finds out it was Martin, Harriet's own brother, who sexually harassed and even tried to kill her. Luckly she got away but to where it is still unknown. After reading this part I finally understood the point of supplying those statistics. It was to show how get sexually harrased is common in Sweden and that Stieg Larsson is against it.
             One more cool thing I noticed in this book was that Steig Larsson shows the book at an angle that it makes it seem like Mikeal was the hero when it was really Lisbeth, like E. B. White did in Charlotte's Web. When she saves Mikeal from being harrassed and eventually killed by Martin you could tel she was the true hero. Mikeal, however was a very important character as well and the story couldn't have been done without him.
             To conclude, I would like to say that even though I didn't complete The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I am already thinking of it as one of my favorite books. How can I not with all these amazing techniques Steig Larsson is using?

1 comment:

  1. nice job noticing what SL was up to in these books. i felt informed in a nonfiction kind of way *and* drawn into the twists and turns of the plot.

    ReplyDelete