When it comes to reading I would drop whatever I'm doing to get started and read. When it comes to reading mystery it is a whole nother story. I love all the tension build up and the learning of the truth in storys. In The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson, I feel some tension just in the first 200 pages. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is about Mikael Blomkvist who is in big legal trouble, gets hired by Henrik Vanger because his niece disapeared over forty years ago and wants to finds out the real reason why.
This book appealed to be because of the fact it was named a addictive thriller which is basically what I live for. Stieg Larsson seems to create tension very easily with his writing. From the beginning when Henrik was talking about the flower he got this year it seemed very odd to start off with that. But when he was explaining to Mikael about Harriet's dissapearance and the flowers he got each year I thought it was a very cool way to start off because you get suspicious just a couple pages into the story and it pulls you in. Most mysteries that I read always start off introducing the characters and setting. That seemes like a very boring way to start, in my opinion.
Also when Stieg was introducing the characters he did right in a important scene.That way he could give away the setting,conflict and character in just a couple of sentences. I thought that was much better than saying, "This is Mikael, he is part owner of a magazine...."
In conclusion, I like the way Stieg Larsson is building up the story and uses different craft moves to make the story better. I can't wait to finish this book.
nice job reading like a writer! you're writing mystery too, right?? love it. this series of books was addictive for me, too.
ReplyDelete